Tuesday 19 July 2011

Welcome to the cheap seats

Originally I had planned to reuse the seats from the donor MX5, but it turned out they were far too wide to fit between the chassis rails and tranny tunnel:

I could have modified them I suppose....
Whilst browsing ebay I spotted these, rumour has it they are Lotus seats without any padding/covering:

I managed to get a pair for £28 each, which seemed reasonable.

They might not be the most comfortable place to sit in the world, but they are nice and light, and just fit in the chassis.
To mount them I bought some seat rails from kitpartsdirect, the holes didn't quite line up, so I had to drill a couple of new ones:

I added two lengths of 25x25mm tube to the chassis to mount the runners on:


Here are the seats in place:


One potential problem with the MX5 chassis is that the rear of the diff tunnel flares out.  This limits how far back my seats will go.
Luckily I'm a bit erm... vertically challenged, so it's not an issue for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment