Wednesday 20 July 2011

Engine Mounts

Whilst I had the engine temporarily in the chassis I decided to fabricate the engine mounts.
On the advice of Saturn Sports Cars I decided to position the engine with the bottom of the sump 40mm below the bottom of the chassis.
Ideally you would want the sump level, but the MX5 engine is quite tall and wouldn't fit under the bodywork if this were done.
With the engine resting on the table I raised the chassis 40mm above it, and positioned the engine centrally within it.
To make it easier to line up, I also temporarily fitted the diff and cut down the propshaft.
I then set about making the mounts.  These were constructed with 3mm steel plates and strip.
The rubber mounts are from a landrover.

Obviously they need fully welding, but that can wait for a later date.  Once I've done that I'll add a top plate to them, leaving a gap to access the rubber mounting nut.  I'll also trim down and shape the plates to make them look a bit nicer.


With the engine positioned centrally the gearstick and propshaft sit slightly to the drivers side, which makes sense as the diff is offset that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment