Sunday 17 July 2011

Got Gas?

When I started welding the chassis my MIG was set up to use little disposable cylinders of CO2.
Given each one of those only gives you about 6 minutes of weld time, it was pretty clear it wasn't going to be practical using them.
Shortly into the project my first cylinder ran out so I started looking for another option.
The usual alternitive is to rent a big bottle on a monthly basis.  I didn't really want to do this as I had no idea how long I would need it for, or how much gas I would use.
After a bit of googling I found Albee Gas, and discovered my local welding supplier carried it.
These are rent free bottles with integral regulator and pressure gauge.
The idea is you purchase your first bottle outright, then pay an exchange fee to swap it for a full one every time you use it up.
The initial purchase price was quite high at about £170, but refills aren't too bad at about £40 a pop.
I went for an 11 litre mix of 85% Argon / 15% CO2.
Initially I was a bit upset about the cost, but that subsided as soon as I started welding, it produced far nicer and 'warmer' welds than the little bottles of CO2.


No comments:

Post a Comment