Wednesday 20 July 2011

Handbrake Lever

I spent the last couple of garage sessions figuring out how to mount the handbrake lever.
The choice of position was fairly limited.  It had to go in the tranny tunnel, and couldn't go on the drivers side because the propshaft is offset towards that side which doesn't leave enough clearance.  So passenger side it was.
I decided to add a triangular plate to existing chassis members to support the rear of the lever.
For the front of the lever I added a new length of 19mm box section to the tunnel, then welded a small plate to it.


The lever is mounted to the two plates using M8 bolts and spacer tubes.
At the moment I have the bolts coming in from the passenger side, this won't be possible once the tunnel sides are in place.
Because access is going to be limited I plan to weld nuts onto the plates to make assembly easier.

I still need to figure out what to do with the handbrake cable itself, but that's a job for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment