Sunday 10 March 2013

Interior Trim and Seats

This week I've been getting in touch with my feminine side and spending some quality time with the sewing machine.

A few weeks back I did a little experiment and made a couple of these panels to fill in the gaps between the chassis rails:


I wasn't sure at the time, but it's grown on me a bit and I thought I may as well make some more, along with a cover for the tranny tunnel.
Whilst I was at it, I made gaitors for the handbrake and gearstick.






The panels are made from vinyl / leatherette glued to 2 layers of 3mm scrim foam using a can of spray contact adhesive.  One layer of 3mm foam wasn't enough to make the diamonds puff out!
I should have used 6mm or thicker foam in the first place, but I'd already bought several meters of 3mm stuff...

When I'd finished making the vinyl/foam sandwich I marked out the diamond pattern on the back and went over the lines with the sewing machine.
Finally, I stiched cotton bias binding around the edges of the panels.

I also finished fitting my seats last night.  They're Cub Sport L7 seats from Kit Parts Direct.
I decided to treat myself to a pair after getting peed off trying to get my first set of cheapo plastic seats to fit.



No comments:

Post a Comment