Monday 7 April 2014

Wakey wakey rise and shine!

The Haynes was rudely awaken from it's hibernation last week and put back on the road.
Grins were a plenty, I'd almost forgotten how awesome it is to drive :D

In actual fact it didn't get that much of a rest over winter.  The oil consumption had been getting silly towards the end of last year - something like a litre every 100 miles...
My best guess was that worn/tired/gummed up oil rings were the cause (reasonably common on the MX5) so I treated it to a full engine rebuld over winter with new piston rings and bottom end / conrod bearings.
It's too early to tell whether the oil consumption is any better, but the engine feels nice and strong at least.

Fingers crossed for a long dry summer!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am interested to know how your modified diff mounting turned out. I also broke my diff on my haynes roadster a couple of weeks ago in the exact same place. I am thinking of bolting it directly onto the chassis like you did. How did this turn out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad luck with the diff Chris.
    I've still got mine hard mounted and haven't had any more trouble with it, so so far so good.
    I really ought to have a good look around that part of the chassis for signs of fatigue now I think about it though...

    ReplyDelete