Thursday 15 August 2013

Back in one piece - with new diff mounts

Took me a bit longer than planned, but the car's just about back together after my little incident with the diff.

Picked up a very orange replacement diff from Porkchop over on the Haynes forum.
Got some solid ali mounts to replace the rubber ones in the diff arms. These were supplied by Stot on the Haynes forum.
Got my propshaft repaired by Northwest Propshafts.  This is where most of the delay occured.
The rear UJ got quite a battering when the diff broke and needed replacing.  Initially they thought they might be able to repair the UJ, but it turned out to be unrepairable.  So what they did was replace the rear UJ with a stronger, rebuildable one, and replace the whole shaft leaving only the front UJ and splined bit that goes into the gearbox as original.
When it turned up it didn't mate with the diff, as the nut on the end of the diff got in the way...  They arranged for a courrier to pick it up though, and a week later it came back, and thankfully fitted just fine.
The other thing I did was fabricate a new front mount for the diff. It's similar to the old one, but 'chunkier' and solid-mounts to the chassis rather than using the landrover mounts:




I'm not particularly happy with the current diff mounting arrangement, but I'm sure it's better than my last one and will hopefully get me through what's left of the summer!

Just waiting for the roads to dry out now so I can have a bit of a shake down run.

UPDATE:
I've done 50 or so miles over the last couple of days.  It's still on one piece and I can't say I've noticed any additional vibration.
I do miss the old LSD though.  Pulling away doesn't feel quite as brutal with the new open diff!

No comments:

Post a Comment